Pool closing time is usually a sad time of year. The weather is getting cold, the leaves are changing color and the warm memories of summertime fun are fading away. This is not usually the time of year that people like to think about their swimming pools, but this is really the most important time of the year to pay attention to the pool to avoid unnecessary problems and costly repairs come Springtime.
- Locate all your winterizing supplies. This should include the cover, the air pillow, the plugs for the skimmers ( gizzmos or rubber plugs ), the winter plate ( if used ) and your winterizing chemicals. You need these items for proper winterization.
- Backwash the filter very well to clean it out. Drain DE filter tanks and leave backwash valve open. On sand filters, unplug the filter drain plug and leave off. Put drain plug with other removed items in the pump basket. Make sure multiport valve ( if any ) has no water in it.
- Plug return pipes and skimmer ( see # 5 for skimmer details ) and remove all hoses.
- Disconnect your pump and filter. Make sure that pump is totally drained out of any water. Turn pump upside down once to make sure ! Remove any drain plugs from the pump. It is a good idea to store any small plugs or parts in the pump basket.
- Some people like to remove the skimmer box and install a winter plate with gaskets. If you do this, make sure it does not leak. Yes, you will get wet doing this ! Most people simply plug the skimmer hole with a black rubber plug or a gizzmo.
- Blow up and install your air pillow. Air pillows are usually used but are not absolutely necessary. They are a good idea in case the water in the pool freezes, expands, and breaks the pool wall. The pillow takes up the slack. However realize that this is somewhat rare. If no pillow is available, you can use tires, tubes, balls, or other air filled floating objects.
- Remove all deck equipment from pool, if any (ladders, rails, slides, etc.).
- Add chemicals. Mix any granular winterizing chemicals in a bucket so that they are totally dissolved. Dump mixture into the pool. You want to avoid any undissolved granules from settling on the pool floor and staining the liner.
- Place cover on pool and secure. Make sure that cover cable wire is tight so that cover does not blow off or fall in pool. Make sure the pillow is still in the middle of the pool after cover installation. If not, reset cover and pillow.
Call us today for more information